Thursday, August 9, 2012

Remodeling: My Kitchen

So, I think I mentioned a while ago that we were remodeling our kitchen.  Didn't I?  Well, it's done!

Complete!  Finished!  And I LOVE IT!  My husband says I'm a much better cook now.  Go figure.

We took our kitchen down to the studs and started over.  Paul and I demoed, and my uncle did the installation for us.  I can't wait to show you our new, awesome kitchen.

But first, here are some before pictures:

View of the Kitchen from the Living Room.  See the fur downs?

Oh, that gate in the above picture is to keep the dogs restricted to the kitchen.  I have white furniture....and I like to keep it that way.
Our Kitchen had a peninsula that jutted out awkwardly.
Oh, please note the faux wood laminate floors.

Standing where the fridge used to be, looking back toward the Living Room

These were taken the day before my Uncle began putting our kitchen back together again:

We didn't want to rip out the sink without my Uncle there to guide us!

During the demolition, we made sure to knock out the fur downs.  In the picture below, you can see where we removed the fur down over the peninsula.  As soon as we knocked that one down, my husband and I were shocked to see how much larger our space looked once the fur downs were gone!  People had warned us that there might be venting and electrical work in the fur downs, but luckily, there was nothing except empty space!

Looking back toward the Living Room.
That's it for today.  I can't wait to show you more pictures of the remodel process and then, the final product!

3 comments:

  1. we cant wait to see! glad you documented this!!

    Miyan

    ReplyDelete
  2. A well-spaced kitchen can make a great cook out of anyone. ^_~ The spacing is important, as more time in the kitchen is being spent at home cooking meals and bonding with the family. Discovering the style for your kitchen can be stressful, but delving into the limitless offerings of a great contractor can save you the trouble of finding the balance in each element of the kitchen. Seeing from your latest post, I believe your uncle did a great job!

    Herb Koguchi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the peninsula has just the right amount of length to it. If it goes any further, your entry point to the kitchen would be too narrow. But from what I saw in your latest post, I think the peninsula is well-placed. Good job!

    Kristopher Diss

    ReplyDelete