Friday, November 11, 2011

Around My 'Hood - Cheers

So, remember watching episodes of "Cheers" and thinking "Man, when I get older, I hope there's a bar I can go to where everybody knows my name?"  Well, my friends, I am now proud to say that I've found that bar.  And no, it's not because I am at the bar a lot.  Everyone knows my name because it's in my 'hood---the 'hood I grew up in--so naturally, everyone I grew up frequents it. 

Friends, let me introduce you to Goodfriend Beer Garden and Burger House. 



When I was growing up, this was a bar called the "Texas Trap".  There were no windows, and I'd always see bikers in the parking lot.  Boy what some windows can do for a place!


I find the name fitting because the hubs and I love to meet our good friends up there.  It's local, it's laid back, and it's not pretentious.  At. All.  Come as you are!  Last Sunday, we biked up there (for exercise, duh) and sat all sweaty on their great patio.  It was awesome.  As one of my friends put it, "@ Goodfriend.  Who needs Uptown?"  My thoughts exactly! 

Last night, we made the mistake of going up to Goodfriend just to say hello to one of our favorite couples, and ended up staying way to late.  It was worth it though.

Also, I ran into several friends that I hadn't seen in ages (some that I've grown up with since Kindergaten), so it was great to catch up with them as well.

I highly recommend visiting Goodfriend soon!  It's a great escape from city life!  Sit at the great Horse-shoe shaped bar, try the current beer on tap, and enjoy the company! 



Also, get to know the bartenders!  They are from the area too!


So, if you look close enough, the guy sitting behind Dax's (bartender) right shoulder is kind of a big deal here in Dallas.  That is Tim Rogers, editor for D Magazine. 

Try it out and let me know what you think!  You never know who you'll run into up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment