Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Struggling with an Injury

So, if you actually *know* me, and I've talked to you in the past 6 months, you've probably hear me talk about not being able to run because my left knee starts hurting at about a mile in.  Sparking any memories of this coming out of my mouth??

My love of running began back when I was a Senior in high school.  On my lunch breaks, I'd go run a mile.  I remember how proud of myself I was once I was able to run 2 miles!  My love of running continued and by my Junior year, I'd run 6 miles 6 days a week, and 8 miles on the other day.....just because.  To be completely honest, while I liked running, I liked the way running made my legs looked more. 

My brother and I before a race. 

About to go for a final run in Sweden
--Junior year of college
Since graduating from college, I will admit that my running has fallen off.  I still loved to go run the lake on Saturday mornings (9 miles), but I wouldn't force myself to go run every day.  I was falling out of love with running.  This made me sad, but I was okay with it. 

When my husband and I bought our house close to the lake, I was so excited to really pick up my running again!  I'd run all over the neighborhood with my Springer Spaniel!  (No kidding, she would smile the whole time.)  One day back in early May, the hubs and I went for a run, just to the lake (probably 3 miles there and back) but once we got to the lake, it was so beautiful, we decided to just continue running around it.  That day, we ran 12 miles---it felt good.  It felt so good, in fact, that I went back to the lake that Wednesday after work to run another 9.  About mile 8, something happened, and I had a horrible pain on the outside of my left leg.  My Springer and I limped back to the car. 

Ever since then, I've not been able to run more than a mile without my leg hurting.  It was quite depressing.  I got angry.  "I'd just fallen back in love with running and now I am dealing with an injury!  No fair!" 

Well, after staying off of it for 6 months, I decided to run in the neighborhood Elementary's 5k.  (I am, afterall, really competitive, and I wanted to run with my husband so bad--and take home a medal!)  So, I ran it.  Fast.  And of course, about mile 1, my leg started to hurt.  But I couldn't stop; little kids were passing me and I didn't want them to think I was a quitter.  So, I kept on and finished (came in 2nd in my age group by the way), but I couldn't walk after that.  I had a horrible pain and I realized I'd done something bad...real bad.

Immediately, I made an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon, and met with him yesterday.  I was preparing myself for the whole "Ma'am, you are never going to be able to run again.  You will only be able to swim for exercise."  But, then, a glimmer of hope came when he told me what was going on.

I am suffering from IT Band Syndrome. 
The IT band runs from the hip to the knee.

I won't go into the nitty-gritty--go here for more info on it--but apparently, a lot of women my age suffer from it. 

I start physical therapy next week for it and I hope and pray that it heals fast.  I'm ready to get back out to the trails.  Please say a little prayer for me as well! 

I just texted my best friend and told her that as soon as I recover from this, I am running a marathon (with the proper trainning of course).

Dear legs and IT band, I promise to not take you for granted ever again.  Just please, please get better. 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really rough. A few weeks ago, I took a little tumble off my bike. I went to see an Orthopedic Surgeon (friend of the family), and it turned out to be nothing. So I can't sympathize, but can imagine how tough it must be to not be able to do the things you love.

    ReplyDelete