Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Taiwaness friend: Chocolate Pie Kai

Or Super Fly Kai. (Kai rhymes with Pie and Fly.)



So, I have this friend named Kai.  We met at church and then, when I went to work for SunTx, he was my co-worker.  Kai worked at SunTx for 2 of the 3 years I worked there.  He left to go help with the Micro-finance movement in Africa.  After completing his work in Africa, he decided it was time to go back to his homeland and serve in the military.  You see, everyone has to serve 2 years in the Army in Taiwan, and since he'd left before he was 18 to go to Baylor University, he knew if he wanted to return, he would have to serve. 

Here are a few things I'll always remember about him:

1.  He likes to sing Britney Spears when he does Karaoke.

2.  He likes to eat.  I'll never forget his HUGE piece of chocolate pie from a lunch at Lawry's.

3.  One time, a big investor for SunTx called Kai to ask him some questions about a recent deal we'd done.  The conversation is as follows:

Investor: Hey Kai, what are you doing?
Kai: (takes a bit of food, starts chewing into the phone and with a Taiwaness accent replies) Ohhhhh, you know.  Same ole' same ole'.  Lighting desk on fire.  Throwing chair out window.

4.  While in Africa, he went on this crazy White Water Rafting trip.  He gave me a dvd of it when he came back to America to visit.  To sum up the experience, I'd say this: He pretty much almost died.  Like 3-4 times.

As a wedding present to Paul and me, he gave us 2 giraffes that were handmade in Kampala, Uganda.


Kai told me these reminded him of Paul and me. 
 Well, he just completed his term and is working in Taiwan as a finance guy. 

He started a blog when he first left America for Africa, and I always love reading it.  Pretty much every time I read a post, I laugh out loud. 

Well, today I read his most recent post about his recent vacation back to America.  I just wanted to share it with you because sometimes we take things for granted and viewing America through Kai's eyes is hilarious.

Here's a preview:

"The rest of trip was pretty much the same: eating junk food, drinking Dr. Pepper, hanging out with friends and eating more junk food. From Vietnamese Pho to Philly Cheese Steak sandwich with extra large curly fries, you name it, I ate it."

READ IT Here!

Basically, Kai came back and ate at every fast food joint in the metroplex.  And gained 5 pounds in 10 days and probably cut 10 years off his life by clogging his arteries.  Whatever--he enjoyed himself. 

Kai, we miss you and hope you find your way back to America soon.   

No comments:

Post a Comment