Thursday, October 20, 2011

Updating: the Guest Experience

 
So, recently, my husband and I decided to make a few cosmetic changes to the guest bathroom.  When we bought the house, I called it the "Venetian" bathroom because everything was gold!  There was also this weird pedestal with a random piece of granite in the bathroom that I moved outside the day we moved in.

In the below picture, please notice the gold mirror, the gold wall shelf, the ugly sconces, the gold faux wall paint, and the pedestal.   

 


See--told ya I moved the pedestal outside!

I also spray painted the (gold) mirrors in bathroom white. I was also really bothered by the gold paint on the walls, so my husband helped me paint it! After a month of deciding on the perfect coral color, we painted the entire bathroom---only to realize it looked like a pepto-bismol bottle. (Sorry, I don't have a picture of that---just imagine PINK overload.)
 
Then, my husband decided that we needed to go bolder---he's tired of white--so he picked out a BLUE color. Don't get me wrong, it looked great in the catalog picture, but once we got it up on the walls, well......see for yourself.....
 
blue overload

Yeah, we lived with it for a few weeks, and I was always embarrassed when we had company over!  Finally, after crying to my husband about how much I hated the blue, he let me go to to Restoration Hardware, where I found the perfect color for our bathroom.....a brownish-grey....surprise surprise.  (Wait, do you guys know that my bedroom is Slate--Restoration Hardware's dark grey?  Well, it is...I'll show you pictures sometime!)  Anyway, the Hubs helped out once again to make-over the guest bathroom.


re-taping the bathroom and taking down the hardware--for the 3rd time

3rd time's a charm!  And, since the bathroom was pulled apart, my husband decided to go ahead and change out the gold fixtures while we were at it.  We put up new sconces (see below picture) and got a new faucet for the sink and the bathtub.

Hubs hard at work dismantling the gold faucet
 
Removing the sink hardware was harder than we thought!
We had to call in reinforcements--Paul's parents.
 
Thanks to Paul's dad, we now have fabulous Moen hardware on our sink!  And, even better, it's NOT GOLD!
  
 So, are you ready for the big Reveal?!!!!  After repainting 3 times, I know I am!!!  Take a look at our awesome guest bathroom!  Notice the white mirrors, the white wall shelf, the awesome sconces, the new blinds, and the new color! 

I also went to one on of my favorite stores to decorate the bathroom.  The shower curtain, mat, and hand towels all came from West Elm.  These elements add the perfect touch!  I also put my vanity where the pedestal once stood.  I've had this vanity forever (it used to be my grandmother's) and it's moved everywhere with me (minus Sweden).  Even better, it fit perfectly!  And, it looks like it was meant for this bathroom.
 
View looking in.
  
View looking out.
  

Before..............................After!


4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the finished ensemble (complete with the West Elm linens).

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i am inspired. that redo is off tha HOOK!
    i hate my bathroom right now. the house was flipped prior to my purchase and the bathroom is nice. but just not the wall color, tile color, fixtures i would've chosen. i can not wait to redo. great job amelia & paul =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! My advice--be very careful about the paint color you choose! (3 rounds of painting (2 coats each) is painful.) Maybe you can find a color that pulls your eyes away from the tiles you dislike--which will save you $$ by not re-tiling! Fixtures are easy to replace too, and can drastically change the look and feel of the any room! I like to surf bellacor.com for light fixtures! I also like to surf my local Lowes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earn FREE satoshis from Easy Bitcoin. 11 to 33 satoshis per 10 mins.

    ReplyDelete