Friday, August 12, 2011

Kitchen Makeover: Inspiration

Lately, the hub-ster and I have been talking more and more about our future kitchen.  While we have several ideas we like to toss around, we have made 1 executive decision.

We are going to knock out the window in the kitchen and install french doors.  You see, we have 2 hunting dogs and our back door swings open directly to the living room.  I have canvas colored furniture--and expensive furniture at that--and they love to run as fast as they can into the house and plow right into the cushy sofa.  SO.OVER.IT! Our solution is to add french doors in the kitchen so that we can "enclose" them in one space---one where they can't leave beautiful paw prints on expensive furniture. 

  

Here's a picture of the window:

And here is the inspiration for them:

While I'm looking at it, maybe moving the dishwasher to wear the fridge is (like in the picture above) is a clever idea!  We need to find a new home for the fridge anyway because I don't like that it's right up against that wall.  I feel like I can never fully open the freezer door. 

Actually, I love a lot of things about this kitchen!  I love the cabinent colors (darker for the bottom and white for the uppers).  I also want a center island, and I love the wood top of the the kitchen island pictured above.  I'd probably still go with the school house lights -- something like this --instead of what is pictured above.  I feel like those are too heavy.   

Honey--can you hear me?

3 comments:

  1. Wait...
    You're knocking out walls and moving windows because your dogs run in the house?
    I have a cheaper solution. Its called a boot.
    As in "put a boot in their hiney and I bet they stop running all over the furniture..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you give Izzy the boot? :)

    We did teach them your "Go get on your bed" line. Sweden runs straight over to hers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually... I slam her in the door when she tries to run in/out without being invited...

    It works everywhere except when we go in through the garage door, which she can open with her nose... But that comes in handy when my hands are full...

    ReplyDelete