Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Secrets to Eating Well on a Strict Diet

I have been on a strict diet for about a year now--not by choice, but by necessity.  I started having awful migraines that produced stroke-like symptoms (loss of feeling on the left side of my body, loss of eyesight, inability to speak correctly) and required me to go to the hospital a few times.  My neurologist gave me medication to take "when I felt one coming on", but for 2 days after I took the medicine, I had the worst hang over..ever.  (I don't really take medication except for a few Advil every now and then, so I am very sensitive to any type of medication.) 

I decided that I couldn't live my life in anticipation of a migraine coming on and that I didn't want to have to take medication daily.  My aunt told me that she too had experienced migraines like mine when she was my age and that she stopped them by eliminating several things from her diet.  She told me about a book, The Yeast Syndrome, and how following the guidelines of this book/diet changed her life.  She hasn't had a migraine since!  I was so miserable from these constant migraines that I got the book and immediately changed my diet. 

I had to give up all foods that contain yeast, caffeine, sugar or that grow with mold, which is a lot of food!  No more bread, beer, grapes, peanuts, peanut butter, anything with flour, mushrooms, cold cuts, candy, cookies, cheese--(I can have mozzarella), yogurt, etc.  Basically, I have to live my life Gluten Free.  At first it was really hard, but over time, I've learned what I can substitue and in the process, I've found wonderful new foods!  I'm happy to report that I have been migraine free since I've started the diet (except for 1 time when I cheated and boy, did I learn my lesson.)

As I learn new recipes with "weird" ingredients (that my husband won't eat often times), I'll share them with you.  I not only have gotten ride of my migraines, but I've learned that eating the right foods really do make you feel better.  I now see how "toxic" foods (i.e. processed foods full of ) really do effect all of us!

Last night, I tried a new lentil soup recipe, found at one of my favorite blogs, Full House, and enjoyed it so much that I can't NOT share it!

Lentil Soup
 
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 dried quinoa
1 1/2 cups dried red or brown lentils  (I used Red)
4-5ish cups vegetable stock
1 bunch baby spinach, chopped
1 lemon juiced
finely grated lemon zest to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft. Add carrots and sauté for another 3 minutes. Add lentils, quinoa and stock. Bring to the boil.

Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat. Add spinach, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Ladle into bowls. Top with lemon zest. Serves 6ish.

Not only is this healthy, but it is also super delicious!  Try it out and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment