Thursday, August 11, 2011

Hutch Makeover: The Final Product

Okay, I know I promised you a long time ago to show you the outcome of our Hutch Makeover. (For part 1 of "Operation Make Over My Hutch", click here!  Well, I'm ready for the BIG reveal.

If you remember, here's what the hutch looked like when we bought it (off of craigslist for $110)
And, here are the after pics!



After we sanded and primed the hutch, we chose to paint it a cool "Mickey's Shadow" color in Behr's Semi-gloss Oil Based paint.  (Yes, from Behr's Disney Line--don't judget).  Also, we painted the inside of the hutch an oil based Onxy Black...the same paint I used for our Mirror Makeover!  As I've said before, I like to use oil-based paints on furniture because it rolls on really even.  It also doesn't leave stroke marks like Latex-based paints leave. 

My husband wanted to add a mirror to the back board, so we bought a mirror from Home Depot and he cut it himself.  Well, as we were laying it in to glue it to the back board, your's truely broke the mirror.  So, angry husband went back to store to get another mirror.  On 2nd attempt to cut it, the mirror broke again.  (This time, not my fault.)  After yet another failed attempt, husband gave in and called a glass company to custom cut a mirror to fit.  Third time's a charm! 

We also wanted to change out the hardware, so I ordered these cool pulls online.  Check out the above pictures for a look at the drawer pulls as well. 


So, in total, we spent:
Hutch:               $110
Disney Paint:     $25
Onxy Paint:       $4  (Really it was $8 but since we used it for 2 things, I halved it!)
Primer:              $0  (Already owned from kitchen painting project)
Mirror #1:         $6
Mirror #2:         $0   (We took it back and got our $$$ back)
Mirror #3:         $25
Hardware:        $44  (Not the cheapest, but it was worth the splurge for 4 ring pulls and 5 drawer pulls)
Hardware:        -$2   (We sold the original hardware at a garage sale for cheap)
Total:              $212

I think we did pretty good considering a brand new hutch would be upwards of $500. 

So, before meets after:

No comments:

Post a Comment