Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lessons Learned: Advice from a Blog

One of my favorite blogs to read is A Cup of JO.  I've enjoyed following her about two years as she got married and had a baby.  She lives in New York and I think she's so cool--I bet we'd be really good friends. 


Pat, my brother (and future
Mayor of Midland?) and me

Recently, she's posted about 2 topics that I found really insightful.  Her first topic was on the proper way to introduce someone.  It is proper to first introduce a person by name, and then by relationship to you.  For example, instead of introducing my husband to a colleague as "This is my husband, Paul" I should say "This is Paul, my husband."  It gives more emphasis to the person instead of how the person relates to you.  While visiting my brother recently (in a town where he knows everyone), I told him this piece of advice and I'm pretty sure it went in one ear and out the other. (Oh well, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.)


Joanna's second post that touched me recently was about "How to talk to Girls".  She talks about how usually your first instinct when you see a cute little girl is to compliment her on her outfit "Oh, what a beautiful dress you have on" or "I love that sparkly bow in your hair".  Instead, you should ask her about something intellectual, like "Have you read any good books recently?" or "What fun activities have you participated in this summer?"

By asking these types of questions, you reinforce that beauty comes from within instead of coming from what little girls have on or look like.  In an age where little girls are all too aware of the pressures society places on them to be beautiful (hello Toddler in Tiaras) we should focus on knowledge and intellect at an earlier age.  Little girls will more than likely remember these types of conversations more than compliments with no emphasis on their brains or inner thoughts. 


S&K (my baby sisters), husband, and me at MiCocina

Having 2 cute young sisters (5 & 7), I am quite guilty of throwing out compliments.  I am going to re-focus my conversations with them on Joanna's advice.  They are already super smart and can carry on a decent conversation, so I'm sure they'll talk my ear off! 

On a funny note, my husband and I recently got back from a tropical vacation, and the week after we got home, my family all went to dinner at MiCocina (been going there for years every Thursday night.)  As we were all sitting there, my 5 year old sister turns to us and says "So, how was your vacation?"  I died laughing and was in complete shock that she, a 5 year old, was making "small talk". 

No comments:

Post a Comment